Saturday, January 5, 2013

Serene Sundays

I've decided to start a new tradition on my blog this year and it's called Serene Sundays, basically I just wanted to be able to post a small devotional thought for Sundays. So I hope you enjoy it and please leave a comment if it helped you in some way. 

This weeks thought: As the Deer Panteth for the Water
Scripture Verse: Psalm 42:1: As the hart (deer) panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. (KJV)
      As I read that the thought came to me, "Does my soul really pant after God and how can I be more aggressive in my seeking after God?" I long that in this new year 2013 that I will show that in my life that I am truly panting after God, I am truly desiring to be more like Him. Some ways that we can pattern our lives after Christ in 2013 are:

  1. Being Kind to others whether they deserve it or not. Jesus was kind even to those who were cruelly beating His back and nailing him to the cross. He cried out to His heavenly Father and said "Father forgive them..." he didn't curse those causing him great pain, he didn't glare at them, he didn't even fight, he willing laid down his life for us and cried Father forgive them for they know not what they do. I don't mean that we have to be doormats for others to walk all over but  heap hot coals on those who do you wrong by giving back kindness in return. In Proverbs 25:21-22 it says "If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirtsy, give him water to drink: For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward thee." In doing this lets not have a greedy heart thinking all the while that God will reward us anyways but lets do this truly from a heart filled with the Love of Jesus. 
  2. Showing the right attitude when things don't go our way. This strikes me between the eyes because I know that I don't always show the proper Christlike attitude when things are going wrong. My prayer is this year that God will help me with that and draw me ever nearer to Him so that when things do come up I'll yield to Him and let Him handle the situation through me. James 1:2-4 says this: "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations: (Various trials) Know this, that the trying (testing) of your faith worketh (produces) patience. But let patience have her perfect work, thatye may be perfect and entire(complete), wanting (lacking) nothing." Have you ever had your patience tried? Maybe your child asked one too many questions or dumped something on the floor for the seeminly millionth time that day, or maybe (as in my case) your dog is pacing and driving you nuts or barking at something that isn't there, or has made another mess, (My dog is like my child at this point in life.) or maybe it's your spouse, they've left their dirty socks or dirty clothes on the floor again or haven't taken their dishes to the sink and you are about to explode with words you know you'll regret later, why don't you stop and breathe a prayer to God for patience. I know in the heat of the moment you don't always think that way but I would like to challenge each of you to let Patience work, train your brain to turn to prayer when things start frustrating you. God sees all these things and he knows they frustrate you but what He may be trying to teach you is more patience. Lord help me in the coming year to have more patience to turn to you in times when I can't seem to get a grip. 
Enjoy your Sunday! ~Abby

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate you sharing your Serene Sunday idea. However, the Linky Parties Directory is for people hosting actual Linky Parties. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry! I'm trying to figure out how to host a Linky Party and I don't know how any tips or somewhere I can go to find out? Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Some very good thoughts. Thank you for sharing. I too want to be a better light for Jesus in 2013. =)

    I hope y'all had a very Merry Christmas and are having a Happy New Year so far! Your hand painted creations are really pretty.

    Blessings,
    ~Heather~

    ReplyDelete